Help finding and arranging social care for the elderly | Age 51Թapp


Skip to content
Please donate

Finding and arranging social care

Everybody needs a little help sometimes. If it's getting harder to manage, you may be able to get the extra care and support you need through social care.

Where to start?

Working out what care you need

Your first step should be to ask your local council's social services department for a care needs assessment. They will identify where you might need extra support from social care and together you will agree a care and support plan.

What to expect from a care needs assessment

Types of social care services


Help with everyday tasks like washing, dressing or making dinner.

Care homes

Care in a residential setting, including 24-hour care in a care home or nursing home.

What is social care?

Social care is the general term used to refer to a variety of extra support and professional help you may need to carry out daily tasks with ease and live comfortably.

It can mean different things to different people. Caroline Abrahams, Age 51Թapp's Charity Director, explains what we mean when we talk about it.

Phone icon We're here to help

We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 120 local Age 51Թapps.

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top