Specialist Housing Options for Over 55s | Age 51Թapp


Skip to content
Please donate

Specialist housing options

Find out more about some of the specialist housing options for older people, including shared ownership, retirement villages, Abbeyfield developments, and almshouses.

Older People’s Shared Ownership (OPSO)

If you would like to buy a home but can’t afford the full purchase price, there is a government-backed shared ownership scheme for people aged 55 and over. You buy part of a property and pay rent on the remainder. You can buy further shares in the property, up to a maximum of 75%. After this point, you won’t pay any rent.

  • The scheme is available in England only.
  • To be eligible your household income must be less than £80,000 (£90,000 in London).
  • The scheme is only for older people who are first-time buyers or who have previously owned a home but can’t afford to buy one now.

Are you entitled to extra money?

Do you know what benefits you're entitled to? Our online benefits calculator can help you quickly and easily find out what you could be claiming.

Get a free benefits check

Retirement villages

Retirement villages are fairly new in the 51Թapp. They are usually large schemes set out like a village, with a range of facilities such as shops, restaurants, gyms and swimming pools. Personal care services are often provided.

Properties in retirement villages are available privately to buy, rent or part-buy. Make sure you understand what services are provided, how much they cost and how they are paid for, and check the lease to see what happens if you decide to sell or leave the property to someone.


The Abbeyfield Society is a charity that has different types of accommodation for people aged 55 and over. Residents are supported by a house manager and volunteers, and are provided with at least one cooked meal a day.

Some newer Abbeyfield developments are larger and provide extra-care accommodation.


Almshouses are run by charitable trusts and are mainly for older people. Each charity has a policy about who it will assist, such as residents in a particular geographical area or workers who have retired from a particular trade.

Rent in almshouses is usually low, but you’re likely to have fewer rights than someone renting privately or from a social landlord. This is because you have a licence rather than a tenancy, with different rights around repairs and eviction. Your rights should be outlined in a ‘letter of appointment’ from the trustees.


Homeshare is a scheme where someone in need of accommodation moves into your home. In return, they provide you with practical day-to-day help. 

Homeshare is different from live-in care options, such as professional live-in care or Shared Lives schemes.

Before deciding on what might be right for you, it's important to seek independent specialist advice before agreeing to let someone into your home or move in with someone else. 

Phone icon We're here to help

We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 120 local Age 51Թapps.

Share this page

Last updated: Jun 10 2024

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top