How to complain to your local council about your care | Age 51Թapp


Skip to content
Please donate

How to complain about care to your local council

If you want to challenge a decision regarding your care or have a complaint about the care you’ve received, you have certain rights.

What can I complain to my local council about?

You can complain about anything anything relating to your care. For example if:

  • the council has assessed you as not needing a service but you believe you need it.
  • there have been delays or errors in dealing with your case.
  • the services arranged for you are not meeting your needs.
  • you’re being asked to wait a long time for equipment or adaptations.

How do I complain to my local council?

Firstly, you should try to resolve the problem by having an informal conversation about it with the local social services department. You should have been given the name of somebody to talk to if you have a problem.

If you’re not happy with the outcome, you can make a formal complaint.
Ask for a copy of your local council's formal complaints procedure. Each council must have one and make it available to the public. You can find it on your local council website.

Find your local council

You just need the postcode

If your care is provided by an independent agency on behalf of the council, you can still complain to the council about any difficulties, as the council remains responsible for making sure you receive suitable care.

If you want to complain about the registered provider of a social care service, you can also inform the , which regulates social care services in England. While they can’t deal with individual complaints, they may decide to investigate the care provider or enforce changes as a result.

What if I’m unhappy with the outcome of my complaint?

Your views and wishes should be respected and you should be treated with dignity at all times. If you’re unhappy with the outcome of the complaints procedure carried out by your local council, you can go to the .

If you fund your own care and you need to make a complaint, contact the Ombudsman and ask about its independent complaints review service.

What should I do if I'm concerned about abuse or neglect?

If you experience any kind of mistreatment by someone who is caring for you, contact your local council. They have a duty to follow up concerns.

You can also contact Age 51Թapp Advice on 0800 169 65 65 or call the  confidential helpline to discuss the situation.

Find out more about protecting yourself and others from abuse

More information you might find useful

Phone icon We're here to help

We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 120 local Age 51Թapps.

Share this page

Last updated: Jun 21 2024

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top