Council Tax Reduction | Age 51Թapp


Skip to content
Please donate

Council Tax Reduction

If you're on a low income or receive certain benefits, you can get help from your local council when paying your Council Tax bill – this is known as Council Tax Reduction or Council Tax Support.

What is Council Tax Reduction?

Council Tax Reduction (also known as Council Tax Support) is a benefit to help people who are on a low income or claiming certain benefits to pay their Council Tax bill. 

You can make a claim whether you own your home or you're renting, and your employment status won't have an impact on your claim. 

How much Council Tax Reduction will I get?

There's no set amount of Council Tax Reduction. What you get depends on your circumstances and where you live. Each local council operates its own Council Tax Reduction scheme, so the amounts of support given across the country may vary.

Wherever you live, the amount of Council Tax Reduction you get depends on many factors, including:

  • your age
  • your income, including any benefits you receive 
  • your savings
  • who you live with
  • how much Council Tax you pay.

You may get more Council Tax Reduction if you receive a disability or carer's benefit.

If you receive the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit you may even get your Council Tax paid in full. If you don’t get Guarantee Credit but have a low income and less than £16,000 in savings, you may still get some help.

If you're not over State Pension age, the Council Tax Reduction you're entitled to is worked out using 'working age scheme' rules which tend to be less generous. Check these rules with your local council. 

Am I eligible for Council Tax Reduction?

If you’re on a low income or receiving certain benefits, you might be eligible for Council Tax Reduction.

But whether you're eligible in your area, and what you might be eligible for, is up to your local council. Each council has their own rules so you should check what the rules are in your area.

Are you entitled to extra money?

Do you know what benefits you're entitled to? Our online benefits calculator can help you quickly and easily find out what you could be claiming.

Get a free benefits check

How do I claim Council Tax Reduction?

The first thing you need to do to make a claim is contact your local council. 

All local councils use the same Council Tax Reduction scheme for people over State Pension, but the scheme for people below State Pension age can vary between councils. Contact your local council to find out which scheme they use.

Can I get more money off my Council Tax bill?

As well as Council Tax Reduction, there are other exemptions and discounts that might apply to you. You might be able to get money off your Council Tax bill if:

  • you live alone
  • you're a carer 
  • you or someone you live with has a severe mental impairment, such as dementia or a learning difficulty
  • there are adaptations in your home for someone with a disability who lives there
  • you have another person living with you who isn't your partner and is on a low income
  • your property is empty – for example, you've gone into hospital or moved into a care home
  • where you're living isn't your main residence
  • there's an issue, such as a flood, which may be covered by a discretionary discount offered by some councils.

Phone icon We're here to help

We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 120 local Age 51Թapps.

Share this page

Last updated: May 23 2024

You might also be interested in...

Ways to reduce Council Tax

Council Tax is a property-based tax paid to local authorities. If you're on a low income, you may be entitled to...

Universal Credit

If you're on a low income or you're out of work, you might be able to claim Universal Credit to boost your income.

Warm Home Discount

Warm Home Discount is a one-off payment to help with the cost of energy during the winter.

Income Support

Income Support is a benefit for people on a low income who need help to cover their living costs. Find out more.

Housing Benefit

If you're on a low income and struggling to cover your rent, you might be able to claim Housing Benefit.

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top