Benefits for Mixed Age Couples | Age 51Թapp


Skip to content
Please donate

Benefits for mixed age couples

Being part of a mixed age couple affects which benefits you can claim. Find out if this affects you and what you should do if it does.

What is a mixed age couple?

A mixed age couple is where one person is over State Pension age and the other person is under. State Pension age is currently 66 for both men and women.

Which benefits can mixed age couples claim?

As of 15 May 2019, mixed age couples are no longer able to choose whether they claim Universal CreditPension Credit or pension-age Housing Benefit.

Instead, mixed age couples can only claim Universal Credit until they both reach State Pension age.

What if I was already claiming Pension Credit or Housing Benefit before 15 May 2019?

If you were already claiming these benefits on 15 May 2019, you shouldn't be affected. However, if your circumstances change or you take a break from claiming your Pension Credit or Housing Benefit, it might mean you have to claim Universal Credit instead.

Things that might affect your claim include:

  • a change of address to a different local council area
  • going abroad for more than 4 weeks
  • a change in the amount of capital you have
  • stopping claiming a benefit that helps you qualify for Pension Credit or Housing Benefit
  • separating from your partner and then getting back together.

In this case, it's best to get advice on your situation. Contact your local Age 51Թapp or call the Age 51Թapp Advice Line on 0800 678 1602.

Get face-to-face advice at your local Age 51Թapp


  • Please select a search type
  • Please enter a valid postcode

Phone icon We're here to help

We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 120 local Age 51Թapps.

Share this page

Last updated: Apr 11 2024

You might also be interested in...

Universal Credit

If you're on a low income or you're out of work, you might be able to claim Universal Credit to boost your income.

Housing Benefit

If you're on a low income and struggling to cover your rent, you might be able to claim Housing Benefit.

Pension Credit

If you're over State Pension age and you're struggling to make ends meet, Pension Credit could help top up your income.

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top